Play Roulette in 5 Steps!
Get to know Roulette with our Guide
For a game that’s almost 400 years old, Roulette looks pretty good. Back in 1655, Blaise Pascal developed the perpetual spinning machine which gave rise to modern-day Roulette games.
Enough of the history, let’s get straight to the game. So, you want to know how to play this modern-day marvel? Get comfy, Karamba is going to take you on a wild ride through Roulette central!
Even if you’ve never played Roulette before, the rules are simple and the game is lots of fun. We’ll start off by discussing the 5 steps to successfully placing Roulette bets and enjoying the game. It’s important to understand each of these components so that you can make the right betting decisions every time. We’ll show you which bets pay out the most, and how you can maximise your betting strategy in the game.
Here is what you need to know about how to play Roulette:
- Step #1 – The Roulette Table – Feel Your Way Around
- Step #2 –Know How to Play Inside Bets
- Step #3 – Learn the Odds on Outside Bets
- Step #4 – Understand the House Edge
- Step #5 – Spin the Wheel and Play for Real
Ready to Go for a Spin?
Let’s Get the Party Started with the Ultimate Roulette Guide
Step #1 – The Roulette Table – Feel Your Way Around
The Roulette Table is one of the most fascinating attractions at a casino. The giant wheel is unmistakable – it’s like a Wheel of Fortune where players can turn their dreams into realities. Before you buy into a game, it’s important to understand the differences between a European Roulette wheel, a French Roulette wheel, and an American Roulette wheel. So, here’s how you can differentiate them:
- European Roulette wheels have a single green 0 slot and numbers 1-36
- American Roulette wheels have a single green 0 slot, a green 00 slot, and numbers 1-36
- French Roulette wheels may appear identical to the European Roulette wheel, but they feature French words
The Roulette dealer is known as the croupier. He/she spins a non-metallic ball (typically plastic or a compound) counter to the direction of the spinning wheel. Players will place bets on positions on the roulette deck – either inside bets or outside bets. Once the ball comes to rest in one of the slots, the croupier will place a marker on that number and all winning bets will be paid.
What options are there on the roulette table?
- Depending on the game, there are numbers 0, 1-36. Other options include red or black, 1-18, 19-36, first 12, second 12, third 12, neighbours bets, split bets etc.
- The inside bets are individual numbers with a payout of 35:1, while the outside bets are red or black, dozens, 1-18, 19-36 etc.
Step #2 –Know How to Play Inside Bets
Most people think of inside bets as individual numbers. However, there are many inside bets that you can place, each with different payouts. These include the following:
- Bets on 0, 00, 1, 2, 3 – 5 number bets
- Bets on individual numbers – Straight up Bets
- Bets on two separate numbers – Split Bets
- Bets on three numbers – Street Bets
- You can bet on three numbers by placing your chip at the end of a row
- Bets on four numbers (the intersection of four numbers) – Corner Bets
- Bets on six numbers (place a chip on 2 adjacent streets) – Six Line Bets
Step #3 – Learn the Odds on Outside Bets
It’s easy to identify outside bets – they are not bets on individual numbers. These bets are placed on any of the selections on the perimeter of the betting deck. These include the first row, second row, third row, even, odd, 1-18, 19-36, first 12, second 12, third 12, red or black.
Here’s a quick look at the payouts of outside bets:
- 1:1 odds on red/black, odd/even, high/low selections
- 2:1 odds on dozen bets and column bets
Steg #4 – Understand the House Edge
A Roulette wheel is a Roulette wheel, right? Not quite! There are 3 unique variants of Roulette, each of them with a different house edge.
Before you grab a wagon wheel biscuit, we would like to share our golden rules:
- Set out your budget! – Be sure to set out a predetermined budget for your playing session and stick to it.
- Please Play responsibly!
Step #5 – Spin the Wheel and Play for Real
Now that you know about the different bets, game odds, and game types, it’s time to pick a Roulette table. The first thing to look for is the minimum/maximum bet options at the table. These are available for everyone to see. Try to find a table minimum that meets your bankroll requirements.
Roulette Chips? Anyone?
Right, now that you know how to bet, it’s time to place your money on the table and collect your chips. Note that roulette chips are coloured not numbered. The croupier will take your money and hand you a stack of chips. Place them on inside bets and outside bets accordingly. Be advised that table minimums and maximums are in play at all times. Each player receives a specific colour at the casino – that’s to avoid confusion.
At the end of each spin, the dealer will place a marker on the winning number. All other chips will be removed from the table and players will have an opportunity to place their bets while the dealer is preparing for the next spin.
The dealer spins the wheel in one direction, and the ball in the opposite direction. Once the ball drops into a slot, the process repeats and winners will be paid. It’s a good idea to learn how to place multi-bet selections at the table, but the dealer will gladly help you if it gets a little confusing.
Online Casino Karamba wishes you good luck and most important of all – play for fun!!
18+ only: https://www.karamba.com/info/underage/